Another class I’m taking this semester, Conceptual Illustration, focuses on… well, illustrating concepts. These course titles don’t fool around. For over a month, my entire class was in the middle of a frantic art-mad-lib sort of project, appropriately titled “Crazy Eights.” Over the course of this project, we are all to produce eight, 8″ x 8″ illustrations. At the beginning of the assignment, we all pulled slips of paper from two groups: occupation and object. Kindergarten teacher+hat, cowboy+pet, and scientist+transportation are three of my eight matches. Each illustration must be done in a different medium; the point of this project is to expose students to different art-making techniques, so that they may find what is comfortable. With two illustrations due every week, it has been a blur of colored pencils, paint, linoleum, and magazine clippings.
Here I learned that drawing architecture is not my forte.
I like my watercolor and ink style best. I also had fun with this one, because I made the pet into the cowboy, instead of just showing a typical cowboy’s pet.
Clown Underwear turned out to be one of my best ones. I like the concept; it’s tricky to portray underwear without slipping into dirtier humor. I had a hard time mixing a good, neutral background color. For a while, it was a gross green-brown, but a few layers of white lightened it up nicely.
I spent an exceptionally long time flipping through magazines, trying to find images of famous art. In the end, I had a marble bust and a hot glue gun that didn’t make it into the bag. I did manage to find a nice variety of art from many different periods in history, though. And a very nice cat.
I had planned this walking machine in a side view, but I changed it to front view at the last minute. However, my perspective was not dramatic enough, so it did not turn out as exciting as I wanted it to be. Using scratch board is always interesting, because it is the exact opposite of using an ink pen (you make white marks on a black surface). Plus, of course, once that black is scratched off, there’s no going back.
I had a good concept for this one, but the execution was not great. I did not really want to do any political commentary, so I was proud to come up with a neutrally cute play on bunny slippers for a politician (eagle slippers). However, I was in a hurry, and the linoleum I was using was not exactly high quality. These two factors resulted in a pretty disappointing image.
I avoided the clay option by sewing a felt hat for my 3-D piece. I used to make a lot of clothes for all the My Little Ponies I played with, so felt was very familiar to me. I kept it interesting by adding the sun and clouds; I had never really embroidered anything until this project. Below are some examples of the pony clothes.
My final piece, made on Adobe Illustrator. I was very short on time, but I decided to learn how to use the gradient mesh tool, just so I could make the shading in the coffee look cool. I also had to quickly learn how to make a scatter brush for the stars. I spent way too long on the Spaceman logo, but I think the end result is a lot of fun!
This project has earned it’s “crazy” title. I don’t think I have ever whipped out so many different images in so many different mediums. It was not only a test of my skill, but a test of my patience and perseverance. Overall, I am happy with my work.