Practical Magic: How Marathon Petroleum Corporation Fuels Experiential Learning
At this time last year, I stepped outside my comfort zone and accepted an internship with Brand Marketing at Marathon Petroleum Corporation (MPC) for spring 2017. While nervous at first, the four months’ experience I gained was invaluable.
Here are six reasons why you should consider doing an internship during the school year (especially with MPC):
- You have so many opportunities — Many companies offer internships year round, meaning there are opportunities for students to fill in during the school year. Also, because most students believe that internships are only meant to be taken in the summer, there is much less competition for getting positions.
- You get to do fun stuff — A semester spent at college means exams, projects and papers nonstop. My semester spent at MPC meant traveling to places such as Fort Wayne, Ann Arbor, Indianapolis and Columbus learning about marketing the oil and gas industry! I was able to take away so much information because I was learning from experiences rather than a textbook.
- You learn to master time management — During my internship, I was still taking classes at Findlay and working my serving job in Lima. Through balancing these activities, I learned to manage my time effectively to complete projects and make deadlines.
- Your work makes a difference — While my friends were scrambling to do their math homework to get an A, I was analyzing data to present to upper-level management on whether to run a campaign or not. Both can be beneficial, but one will have far greater immediate impact on the real world!
- You make new friends — Even though I was not going to be on campus for a semester, I still had all my friends at UF that I would come back to in the fall. At MPC, I became friends with fellow marketing interns from many other institutions, interns from other departments and my co-workers in Brand Marketing! I continue to keep in contact and hang out with everyone even though my internship has ended.
- You have memories that will last a lifetime — I will forever remember the four months I spent interning in Brand Marketing at Marathon. I made many friends, learned a lot about myself, increased my marketing skills and gained a new respect for the oil and gas industry.
Success happens when we leave our comfort zone. How willing are you to venture into the unknown and try something new? The University of Findlay’s Center for Career Planning and Professional Development can help you with an internship placement that will change your future.