“The Greatest Experience on Earth”
College. At one point, it was stereotyped as a four-year party where students took a few classes and had little responsibility. Now, college has transformed into a three-ring circus, where students are tasked with juggling many things. My senior year is more like a five-ring circus though; where class, career prospecting, working, extracurricular and social activities occupy my day. Here is a breakdown of what I experience daily:
- Classes. Every college student takes classes, and this semester I am taking six (eighteen credit hours). I have a mix of general education and business-oriented classes with homework, papers, projects, presentations and exams. While at times the classwork seems like a lot, I enjoy it because most of the courses cover areas I am passionate about.
- Career Prospecting. As a senior, making sure I land a job post-graduation is very important. I am constantly updating professional documents, networking and job searching. My goal is to make sure that I know where I am starting my career upon graduation.
- Extracurriculars. These activities that happen outside of class are important for networking and resume building. My main extracurricular activity is being an agent in The Oiler 10 — an on campus, student run marketing agency. While being part of The Oiler 10 occupies a lot of my time, being able to make an impact for clients with fellow students is a great feeling!
- Work. College is expensive, there is no denying that. So, like many college students, I need to work to manage expenses. I work three days a week for the College of Business to help with living expenses. I also work two nights a week as a server in Lima, so I can have some pocket cash!
- Social. College students need to have fun too! I spend my free time hanging with friends, going to sporting events, cooking and watching Grey’s Anatomy on Netflix. I also try to visit my family at least once a month. Social activities provide me with a much needed break from my “to do” list!
So many tasks for college students to juggle — which makes time management and prioritizing key! Let’s be honest, it can be stressful at times, but I believe that college is one of “The Greatest Experiences on Earth”!